For those of you who have never taken a dance lesson before, going to your first dance lesson can feel very intimidating. But have no worries: to help you get ready, we have come up with a short list of frequently asked questions. Feel free to leave a comment or question below!
1. What should I wear? Wear anything that makes you feel confident and comfortable. If you feel comfortable wearing jeans and t-shirt, please do so. If you are coming straight from your office job, come in whatever you would wear at work. You can bring shoes that you will wear when you go out dancing or if you are getting ready for a wedding or other events, bring shoes that are similar to the ones you will wear. Sneakers are not recommended.
2. What do I need to bring? If you are getting ready for your own wedding, you may want to bring a copy of your first dance song. At BDC, we have internet access, so it should be easy for your instructor to find it online, unless it is a less common song or a specific version of a song.
3. What should I expect at the first lesson? Treat your first lesson as a way to get to know the studio and a way for your instructor to learn about you, your needs and goals. Simply have fun and enjoy learning a new skill!
4. What will I learn? In your first lesson, you will learn the basic concept of leading and following. Depending on your goals, your instructor will get you started with basic dance steps that are suitable for you. Again, your first dance lesson is simply a way for us to learn about each other, so don’t think that you have to pick up steps quickly and perfectly.
5. How should I prepare myself before the first lesson? Whether you are learning to dance for fun or a special occasion, simply relax and try to have fun! If you are getting ready for your wedding, you may want to find out the size of your dance floor and things you want your instructor to know about your wedding.